Festival Strawberry & cream gateau Competition recipePosted on Jun 11, 2015
Here’s the recipe for the adults (16+) to follow when entering the Bake Off competition. We’ll be looking for a moist sponge and good construction/ piping work!
4x large Free range eggs
225g/8oz Caster sugar
225g/8oz Softened butter
225g/8oz Self raising flour
1tsp Vanilla extract
600ml/13fl.oz Double cream
100g/3.5oz icing sugar
700g Punnet fresh British strawberries
2 tbs Strawberry jam
1x Leaf of gelatin
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Then grease and line 2 x 20cm/8in sandwich tins.
- Cream together the butter and sugar along with the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour and eggs and mix thoroughly until well combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins and bake for 25 minutes.
- The cakes are done when they’re golden-brown and coming away from the edge of the tins and springy to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool in their tins for five minutes then turn the cakes out onto a cooling rack.
- Whilst the cakes are cooling start to make the sweetened cream filling by whipping the cream and icing sugar together to stiff peaks.
- Once the cakes are cool trim around the edges to remove the crust.
- Place one cake into a spring loaded baking tin that fits the cake exactly then spread with the jam.
- Line the bottom slice of cake with slices of strawberry and ring of strawberry halves around the sides (cut half facing outwards).
- Fill the tin with the whipped cream and smooth the top. Place in the fridge to allow the cream to firm up.
- While the cake is chilling, soak the gelatin in some cold water. Set aside 3x strawberries then blend the remaining strawberries and pass the pulp through a sieve to extract the juice and remove the seeds. Measure out 250ml of juice for your saucepan.
- Gently heat the strawberry juice in a saucepan adding a little sugar to taste.
- Remove the gelatin from the water and add to the warmed strawberry juice, stirring until dissolved.. Then remove from the heat.
- Pour the juice into a separate bowl and leave to cool until almost set.
- Take the tin from the fridge and place the remaing sponge on top pouring over the jelly.
- Place back into the fridge to set.
- Carefully remove from the tin then decorate with the remaining cream and strawberries.
- Finally, bring your masterpiece along to the Lichfield Garrick between 10.30am and 11am on Sunday 30 August ready for the live judging from 12noon to 1pm!